Saturday, February 1, 2014

{Clean} Whole-Wheat Cake Donuts

     


     This week I've had a cold. I've been meaning to post these donuts because they are oh-so-good. Seriously I made nutella donuts yesterday {unhealthy, hey I've been sick...} and liked these better! You really could add anything to them bananas, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc.. These are perfectly moist and cakey. Call me crazy I'd pretty much rather have a cake donut over a fried one. Just the plain cake donuts. I really love blueberry donuts {are those baked?} A artificially flavored, more-than-likely-not-real blueberries, and a sugary frosting on the top. Ever had a cherry chip donut? Those are amazzzzzinngg!! I wonder if I could recreate those with a cherry chip cake mix... The other perfect thing about these bad boys is no bananas! Yeah you could add them if you want them but it's hard to find healthy recipes these days without bananas.





     We topped these with melted chocolate and peanut butter. It's like Reeses! Until now I never realized how different that word was. Really any word seems weird to me when I think about it. Also I have an idea for Reeses mousse, I'll post it if it turns out right! I usually stick mine in the fridge just because. Since there is coconut oil in them it makes them hard. You can stick them in the microwave for like 20 seconds and they're perfect again! Also if you top them with chocolate it will make it all melty again.   


     I think one time we ran out of vanilla extract {or decided to try something different} and used orange extract they were delicious! It made a perfect chocolate-orange donut. The original recipe came from Chocolate Covered Katie. I changed it up though. 


{Clean} Whole-Wheat Cake Donuts

1 tsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup milk {any kind}
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 + 2 tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Mix the two together. Pour into greased donut pan {or muffin tin}. Bake 15 minutes. 

Notes: The coconut oil will harden if your milk is cold. Mix as well as you can then add dry ingredients. 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment